Pages

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Crock Pot Stuffed Peppers

Not a ton to report this week.  School and work were extremely busy for both of us.  For fun we went to dinner with my dad who was in town and my grandma; our friends Sydney and Jon came over on Friday night for games and treats and last night we went to the temple.

Because nothing super amazing/exciting happened (and because I have been awful about taking pictures lately), Ben said I should post about something I made for dinner this week.

I've been toying around with the idea of starting a food blog so I guess I'll see if I like doing that here first :)

Crock Pot Stuffed Peppers:
Ingredients:


  • 4-6 bell peppers (I used 4 red ones, but they were HUGE!)
  • 1 cup uncooked rice
  • 2 cloves of garlic (I usually use minced garlic from a giant container we got at Sam's)
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 can of diced tomatoes, drained a little bit (I used a can that also had green chiles in it)
  • shredded cheese
  • Valentina sauce
Instructions:
  • Cook the rice in whatever method you prefer. (I love using my rice cooker)
  • As the rice is cooking, wash and dry the peppers then cut the tops off of the peppers and scoop out the core, seeds and other yucky parts.  Save the tops for later.
  • Dice the onion and sauté in heated oil with garlic until transparent.
  • While the onions are cooking, go back to the pepper tops and cut out the green stem.  Chop the pepper tops into pieces.
  • After onions are almost transparent, add the chopped pepper tops and continue to cook for a few minutes.
  • Add in the can of tomatoes.  Mix until heated through.
  • Once your rice is done, add some Valentina sauce to the rice until it reaches your desired level of spiciness.  (If you are using tomatoes with green chilies you may want to not add as much though, those chilies can be quite strong!)
  • Mix the rice and veggies together.  After the mixture has cooled a bit, add a couple handfuls of shredded cheese.
  • Stuff your peppers with spoonfuls of the rice and veggie mixture.  Make sure to really stuff them! Top with some shredded cheese if desired.
  • Pull out your crock pot and add between 1/2 and 1 1/2 cups of water to the bottom.  Then, nestle in your peppers next to each other.  I liked to lean a few up against the outside wall of the crock and then lean the others next to those.  
  • Cook on low for 4-6 hours. 
You can definitely alter and play with the stuffing of these peppers.  I based this recipe off of this recipe I found online and I got the idea for cooking them in the crock pot from this website.  

No comments:

Post a Comment