Pages

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Homemade Pancake Mix

As you may know, Ben and I are college students without a lot of extra time or money. Because of these two circumstances, I have decided from early on in our marriage that we needed to eat homemade breakfasts as often as possible. Because of that decision, every Sunday (normally) I make a big batch of some sort of breakfast food that we can reheat and eat all week long. You can see all of my breakfast recipes by clicking here.

While you can get some pancake mixes for fairly cheap, they can still get to be pretty expensive. I also have a hard time paying for something that is basically flour and that is something I can make for much cheaper at home. Enter in the most delicious homemade pancake/waffle mix you have ever had in your whole life!



Ingredients:

  • 6 cups flour
  • 2 cups powdered milk
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 3 Tbl. baking powder
  • 1 1/2 Tbl. baking soda
  • 2 tsp. salt

Directions:

  • Mix all ingredients together in a #10 can. 
How easy is that? This makes enough for 4-5 batches of pancakes/waffles. 

Pancakes:

  • Ingredients:
    • 2 cups mix
    • 1 1/2 cups water
    • 1 egg
    • 1 Tbl. oil
  • Directions:
    • Whisk ingredients together and let stand for 1-2 minutes to thicken.
    • Pour onto a greased hot griddle and cook on each side until little bubbles form and the pancake is golden brown. 
I like to make these pancakes in a large Pyrex liquid measuring cup because it makes pouring so much easier!



Waffles:

  • Ingredients:
    • 2 1/2 cups mix
    • 2 cups water
    • 3 eggs
    • 1 1/4 cups oil
  • Directions:
    • Whisk ingredients together and let stand for 1-2 minutes to thicken.
    • Pour onto a greased hot waffle iron. Cook until golden brown. 

Some More Tips:
  • I use #10 cans or ice cream buckets for storing my larger mixes. Make sure you LABEL!
  • I always write the original recipe (for the large mix that fills the can) on the can or print it off and tape it on. 
  • I also always write (or type and tape) the directions for use on the can as well. 

**Somehow I can't find the original source of this recipe! If it is yours let me know so I can link back to your site.**

No comments:

Post a Comment