Pages

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Red Velvet Cheesecake

Remember back on Valentine's day (here) I made this delicious cake? It was the perfect combination of One of Ben's favorite dessert (cheesecake) and one of my favorite desserts (red velvet cake). I'm fulfilling my promise and will be sharing this super easy (and super yummy!) recipe.

This recipe was inspired by Mel's Kitchen Cafe. You can find the original recipe here

Cheesecake Layer: (This is my family's favorite cheese cake recipe)

  • Ingredients:
    • 2 - 8 ounce blocks of cream cheese (softened)
    • 1/2 cup sugar
    • 1/2 tsp. vanilla
    • 2 eggs
  • Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    2. Mix cream cheese, sugar and vanilla together. 
    3. Add eggs and mix well. 
    4. Line a 9-inch pie place/tin with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.
    5. Pour cheesecake mixture into the pan.
    6. Bake for 40 minutes.
    7. Remove from oven and cool. Then place in refrigerator and chill for at least 3 hours (I normally let it chill overnight)
  • Note: If you want to just make the cheesecake (which I highly suggest you do at some point :), you can follow the same recipe but instead of putting it into the foil lined pan, you can pour the mixture into a 9-inch graham cracker pie crust. 


Red Velvet Layer:

  • I just used a red velvet cake mix and baked it according to the boxed directions. I followed the directions to make 2 - 9-inch round cakes (one box will make the 2 cakes). 
  • I also lined these pans with foil and sprayed with cooking spray and the cakes popped right out.
  • If you want to make your own cake, here is a link to my favorite red velvet recipe. 

Assembly Directions: (Note: in addition to the cakes and cheese cake, you will also need 1.5-2 containers of Cool Whip)

  1. After the cakes have cooled and the cheese cake has chilled, remove each layer from the foil.
  2. Place the first red velvet cake on a cake dish or plate. 
  3. Spread an even layer of Cool Whip on top of the red velvet cake. 
  4. Add the cheesecake layer.
  5. Spread another layer of Cool Whip on top.
  6. Add the final red velvet layer. 
  7. Frost the entire cake in Cool Whip. (I added pink food coloring to mine to make it a little bit more fun :)
  8. Let sit in fridge for a few hours for the layers to solidify.



No comments:

Post a Comment